Sunday, March 16, 2008

I wrote this on January 23rd!

It’s been a while since I’ve last written. My computer won’t charge and is being a pain as usual! So, I don’t have the internet time to sit and write a blog entry! But I found a way around it – so we shall see if this method works!
I’ve been on a couple excursions since the last time I’ve written. In Burnie, Tasmania I went on an excursion called “Taste of Tasmania”. We went to the Anvers Chocolate Factory, the Tassie Wildlife Center and the Honey Farm.
The chocolate factory was amazing! It’s just an old cottage style house surrounded by tons of flowers. This guy started – about 20 years ago – just making truffles and chocolates as a hobby for friends, family and selling small batches to locals. One day a Japanese business owner said he wanted to purchase enough for all of his staff for Christmas, but since it was nine months away he would fax his order because he wanted to make sure not to forget anyone. Well, this guy who makes the chocolate thought nothing of it – just another small sale. Three weeks later he receives the fax to find out that this guy had hundreds of employees and wanted something along the lines of 2 tons of chocolate. The guys said, I’m sorry, I don’t have the time/money/manpower to produce that for you. The Japanese business man told him to check his bank account tomorrow and he’d put enough money in for him to hire some people to make all those chocolates. The next morning, sure enough, he had $180,000 AUD in his account to produce all of this chocolate! Pretty cool story, eh? So that was the beginning of the Anvers Chocolate Factory!
Anyways, we got there and were served tea and each seat had either a [HUGE] slice of chocolate cake or chocolate/mint cheesecake. I hate mint, but the cheesecake was absolutely fabulous – top notch! We went outside following the cake and sampled their vanilla fudge, truffles, and other kinds of chocolates that they make and I’ve never had fudge I’ve like that much. (Yes, Aunt Louise, I want to send you some but shipping is out of this world!) I saved the card so maybe when I’m rich I can order some and have it shipped!
The next stop was the Tassie Wildlife Center where we saw wombats, Tasmanian Devils (they’re vicious!), kangaroos, wallabies, koalas and several Joey’s! We didn’t get to hold them like when I went to the wildlife park in Brisbane several years ago – but it was so cool to see them. At the park, they served us a bar-b-q lunch with lamb-burgers and salads, but they all had curry! Yuk!
As if we hadn’t had enough foods and sweets, we went to a Honey farm in Chudleigh, Tasmania. They produced tons (like 40-50) different kinds of honey. I don’t like honey, but I did try a few and it was interesting to see the different types that they created. We also were treated to ice creams they made from honey, which again I didn’t think I would like, but I tried a Vanilla Honey Ice Cream and it was by far the second best Ice Cream I’ve ever tasted. (The first is the Hokey Pokey Ice Cream they make in New Zealand with vanilla and real honeycomb pieces – trying to find out if there’s a way to ship that too ;) )
Spent another day in Melbourne after that – walking around just for fresh air and exercise! In Sydney I had IPM AGAIN. We only have one more turnaround day in Sydney so I’m praying I can do SOMETHING like the bridge climb before leaving here!
When we hit Tasmania again on this cruise, I went on a Pioneer Museum and Unique Crafts tour. I was a bit nervous that it was going to be boring and cheesy – but it ended up being quite cool. We went to a place called Creative Paper. They make paper out of cotton, denim, plants, lavender, and ‘roo poo’! Yes, kangaroo poo! It was neat how they did it and we even got to make our own. Unfortunately, we weren’t there long enough to let it dry so we couldn’t bring it home, but they did give us another piece. There were huge statues made out of paper mache – really cool place to see how it’s all done!
We stopped at Burnie Park and walked to a small waterfall which was pretty and then onto a museum, which was the anticipated boring – but the paper place was worth it!
Other than the excursions, life is pretty good here. I’ve made lots of friends – especially because Whitney from my last ship is now leaving here March 1st instead of May like originally planned to be with her boyfriend on another ship! Honestly, I’ve being hanging out with the Filipino Security guards and other guys in the Crew Mess and the PO (Petty Officer’s Bar). They seem to be some of the most fun people on board! They all told me they though I was snobby when I first got on – just because I was quiet- now I’m one of the only females they hang out with.  I’m having fun though! Only 3 kids on board this week so it’s been pretty quiet and I’m just trying to relax and enjoy!
Every turnaround day, I seem to be stuck on IPM, which means I have to stand at the Gangway and greet all oncoming passengers. I swear if I hear “Is that your real name?” one more time I’m going to scream! All the guys on the lido always say…Sydney’s in Sydney or Sydney’s moving to Melbourne! It’s funny though – on the ship everyone has started calling me Syd – that never happens! It’s all fun though!

No comments: