Monday, October 11, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love: Day 1

(NOTE – I JUST POSTED THIS, BUT NOTICE THE DATE LISTED AT THE TOP.  I AM SLOWLY POSTING THINGS THAT I NEVER GOT AROUND TO FROM OCTOBER/NOVEMBER OF LAST YEAR)

For those of you who don’t know – I’ve decided that this 7 day vacation as well as my upcoming 3 month contract have become what I (as well as Misty J) have coined it. My reasoning? The last few months have been a lot of discovery and learning about myself, what I’m capable of and my new “mantras,” which you will see posted throughout several of my posts. So, the next few months I am embarking (no pun intended) on a journey about me. Not just emotionally speaking, albeit that is a large part of it, but a physical journey as well. See prior posting to this one to see all the details on that.

Saturday morning, October 2nd, I packed my final few items and headed to the airport – extremely anxious yet excited about this upcoming adventure. Excited for the places I’ll be traveling throughout the next several months but scared to death to travel on my own. I had never done it before! Yes, I have traveling abroad multiple times but never completely by myself. Needless to say – I have faith and I know I’ll be ok.

My first flight was to Atlanta where I had a two hour layover before departing to Athens. A few final phone calls later, I boarded the plane and flipped through my phone to read a quote that I keep “tucked away” for times like these when I wonder what I’m doing or I’m drowning in a sea of my own thoughts and doubts about this trip and many other things in my life: “Never forget, that on any day, you could step out the front door and your whole life could change forever. The universe has a plan and that plan is always in motion. It’s a scary thought, but it’s also kind of wonderful. All the little parts of the machine constantly working, making sure that you end up exactly where you’re supposed to be, exactly when you’re supposed to be there. The right place. At the right time.” A friend of mine posted that probably about 2 months ago and it came just at a time when I was questioning “is this right?” As soon as I reread this, I took a deep breath, sat back in my chair and knew that God was doing this for a reason. I felt confident.

11 hours, a crying baby (ironically, named Sydney), no sleep and 2 meals later, the plane landed safe and sound in Athens, Greece. About 15 minutes later, I was met by a woman who worked for “Fantasy Travel,” the company that booked the entire vacation for me and she handed me all of my transfer vouchers and tickets for me before introducing me to my driver, Niko (go figure!). Niko drove me to my hotel, “Central Hotel” in the heart of Plaka or the “Old Town.” We talked the entire way and he was giving me stories and anecdotes as well as places I should see while I am in Athens. After asking me if I had slept on the flight, and I told him all the details of baby Syd…he told me a Greek “saying” that when babies cry, they will be ugly. I truly can’t remember the details of the story, but it was something to do with a Greek God (starting with an H). We arrived at the hotel and my room wasn’t ready, so the concierge told me that I could wait on the rooftop – so I headed up there with no expectation of what I would see. All I can say is WOW! I had a perfect view of the Acropolis- it is incredible and even more so in the evening!

            View of the Acropolis from my hotel rooftop in Athens, Greece   The Acropolis from my hotel in the evening 

When my room became available, I was excited because all I wanted to do was shower and rest for an hour or so before heading out to do some sightseeing. Well – plans went a bit differently than anticipated. I took a shower and laid down and set the alarm for an hour. An hour later the alarm went off and I could not get out of my bed – after snoozing for probably another 5 hours, I got up. Still – no idea what time it was- I threw some clothes, asked the front desk where I could get some food and she pointed me right down the road. The weather was absolutely beautiful and I walked for about 5 minutes before running into no less than 15 “tavernas.” I browsed a few menus and didn’t know where I should go until a girl approached me while I was looking at the menu for her restaurant and said to myself “This must be it!” It was called “Quick Pitta” and the waitress asked me what I wanted and I said a Gyro and she started asking questions as to what else I would like – a greek salad? Sure! Potatoes? Sure! Wine? Hell Yes! All the food was brought to me (way too much to say the least!).

Athens, Greece - My Greek white wine, Greek SaladAthens, Greece - Gyros.....

Some observations: Greek Salads are not what the US calls a Greek Salad. They are AMAZING. They are served with no lettuce – just Green Peppers, Tomatoes, Onions, Olives and a block of Feta Cheese on top, drizzled with Olive Oil and Vinegar and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Out of respect for the culture and their primary export- I did taste a few olives because I was told that they taste “different” in Greece. Nope! Also, I had expected the potatoes to be some special Greek potato – nope! French Fries. I didn’t eat those- why waste space on that?!?! The gyro was served on a platter – a pita sliced into small “bite size” pieces, lamb, a pile of onions, slices of tomatoes as well as a ramekin of a red sauce, which had a familiar taste but I can’t place it. It  probably took an hour for me to slowly eat my meal, drink my wine and guzzle water like I hadn’t had it in a year. (If you’ve ever traveled for long distances on a plane- this feeling is familiar to you as well!) Throughout my time sitting outside in the brisk air, I couldn’t help say over and over in my head how unbelievable it was that I was sitting in Greece enjoying dinner by myself. I paid the bill and headed for a walk just to acquaint myself with the area – I didn’t realize how in the middle of everything I was! I am literally around the corner from the Temple of Zeus and many other archeological places. Along my way, I met several men who wanted to know where I was from etc – they all worked for the tavernas where I was walking – don’t worry.  I walked for probably an hour before heading back to the hotel.

For about an hour after getting back to my room, I played on the internet and watched some TV before I thought “Maybe I should find out what time it is and head to bed.” I called the front office to ask and he said 2AM!!! I threw everything off my bed and made myself go to bed because I knew tomorrow was going to be a long day!

Traveling alone so far is an incredible experience. I’ve had time to think and reflect with no one to answer to and the ability to create my own schedule. I can’t say that I don’t wish someone was with me – just someone to talk to and enjoy this opportunity and share in my blessings. I know that the next week will produce trials as well as tribulations – but I’m willing to take them on and chalk both up to experience and life. God has blessed me.

High/Low

High: Taking a deep breath and realizing how much my family loves me and the feeling that I am starting something new.

Low: Can’t think of one - other than wishing I wouldn’t have slept (but I needed it!) and did more sightseeing!

No comments: