Friday, October 25, 2013

Haifa, Israel: The Dead Sea!

I've been to Israel a few times before I started working for Shore Excursions and within those few trips, I’ve managed to cover Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Nazareth and many of the religious sites. Yesterday, my manager worked it out for a “fam (shore ex team family) trip” and talked to the tour operator and got us a private minivan to the Dead Sea. It was supposed to be a group of 6 or 7 of us and it ended up being me and my colleague, Maya. Our guide, David, picked us up in an 8-seater van and started the 2 ½ hour drive to the opposite side of the country, through the different banks and zones. It was fascinating to go through all these different checkpoints with armed guards enforcing that Israeli’s and Palestine’s don’t go into an area that they don’t belong. So many cultures live in one country so peacefully at the same time as well, and respect each other’s beliefs and religions.

David took us to the side opposite of where all the tourists typically go – so we ended up at a beautiful restaurant overlooking the Dead Sea and had a huge lunch with fresh hummus, pita, a lovely chicken dish, rice, peas, carrots, meatballs and some other traditional middle eastern food. It was absolutely fantastic and we were stuffed! David was so kind to say that being full is a good thing when you go to the Dead Sea as it helps to weigh you down in the water. Truly doesn't make me feel better, but thanks for trying, David!


Nice and full, Maya and I headed in and changed for swimming in the locker rooms and headed down to the beach area with folks covered from head to toe in the mud and letting the sun bake it into their skin. We walked all the way down the beach to the very end where we found two sun loungers and claimed our spot. Maya got in the water first and put the mud all over her and I took a few photos for her before I made my way into the water. The water felt normal as I walked in and I made my way to the mud first, as the entire Dead Sea bottom is not the mineral-rich mud. I found a large mud area and started to paint it all over myself (while missing a few spots at the same time – but didn't know until I saw the picture) – I mean, who wouldn’t want to look at least 10 years younger in less than 15 minutes. I let the mud dry out a bit and walked out waist deep into the water.



The instructions they give you are that once the water reaches your waist, sit down as though you are sitting in a chair and use your arms to swim/paddle backwards.


 It is the most weird and eerie feeling! I wanted my feet to go underwater and rinse them off, but they won’t stay! I’d push them down and they’d pop right back up. When we’d try to stand up, you really have to force your legs down to the ground so that you can stand back up. For a brief moment, I’d forgotten that I was in the Dead Sea and flipped over to swim a bit and I was quickly told that I couldn’t do that and Maya and I broke out into a fit of laughter when my body just laid on the top of the water like a dead man floating. Luckily, my face didn’t hit the water though! We tasted it and it’s not only extremely salty, but quite bitter as well with all the minerals in it.

Not my most flattering photo, but you have to see this mud.  (Yes, I missed a few spots!) 



After a bit of floating around, we laid out to start the drying out process as the water is actually oily and it took quite a bit to dry out before heading back to meet David so we could drive back to the ship (but not willingly!). David took us by a store because I had asked about a nativity set carved in Olive wood that I had seen the last time, but the store didn’t have what I was after – but Maya and I managed to purchase quite a few of the Dead Sea spa products for ourselves and I got quite a few Christmas gifts in there. I mean, is there anybody out there that would be disappointed by me giving them some Dead Sea skin products actually bought by the Dead Sea? I wouldn’t!

We drove a different route home so that we could try one more store in Jerusalem for my nativity set, but the guy’s prices were way higher than the gentleman that originally was going to sell me one, so I left without one. Just wasn’t meant to be, right?

The Dead Sea has been on my bucket list for many years and when I thought it had become a pipe dream with all that’s happened in the last month there, I was elated to find out I’d be able to go. Just reminds us not to take traveling for granted, because you never know if you’ll be able to go back! If you have the opportunity to travel, stop making excuses that you don’t have the time…do it while you’re able!

No comments: