Friday, November 21, 2008

Look at Me!

I just posted a post yesterday and I'm doing it again today! We were in Trujillo, Peru today and it was very eerie. The port was an industrial one and it literally looked like they could have filmed a movie about space in port. No vegetation – all black sand, dust and rocks. Once we got out of the port (we took a cab, the shuttle was taking forever)- we started to see a little vegetation, but this whole city is pure poverty. It looks like the projects everywhere. The streets are full of vendors selling anything and everything they can.

When we got into the city, the city center was beautiful full of historic buildings and statues. The buildings were all bright and vibrant colors – you'll see that in the pictures (Hopefully I'll get tons of them posted on December the 6th – I'm so excited for you guys to see some of them).

Anyways, back to Trujillo! We walked around for a bit – nothing to see but tons of junk. Very run down and yet quite clean at the same time. We ended up at a restaurant of sorts. More like a sandwich shop. Very small wooden benches and tables and the bathroom door was made for someone no taller than 5 foot 1. Gavin and I sat at one table and the other three sat at another (that's how small these tables and benches were). I got a bottle of water, a sandwich with fries (but put ketchup that wasn't ketchup on them that tasted nasty. God saying "Sydney, don't eat them". Well God, it worked! Gavin ordered a beer, ¼ of a chicken, fries and a salad. The entire meal was $9.00. Woohoo! That's about all for Trujillo!

There's a couple on board, Carol and Dave, that are from Tennessee and they are super sweet! She actually makes angels with ribbon and pearl heads and they're made out of those big paperclips. I think they're called butterfly ones, but not sure. She gives them to everyone (she brought 1,000 with her…Sherwin and I both have one!) Anyways, she wears 3 (large) diamond rings and I've been joking with them that she can donate just one and it would be ok. She laughed and said "not on your life, Sydney." One day, her husband was sitting at a computer and I found a picture of a Cartier ring (huge!) and asked him if I could get that one since Carol wouldn't share. He said "Sure!" Anyways, it's been a running joke for awhile now and today they bought me a silver ring with a heart. He said "I couldn't see that ring you showed me because you were on the other end of the room, but today I saw this one and I'm pretty sure it resembles that one." How awesome J

There's also another "Angel Lady" named Peggy with her husband Bob on board – she makes angel earrings and hands them out – she gave me a pair the other day. God's looking out for me these days! ::Thank goodness somebody is::

Alright…have a good one! Hope all are well!

No comments: