Thursday, November 20, 2008

Where in the World is Sydney??

I figured I was due for an update and I actually have a few minutes to sit and breathe, so I guess I'll get right to it J

I don't think I ever wrapped up last cruise – not sure where I left off, so I'll start with our last port of Half Moon Cay, which is Holland America's private island. The only thing I can say about it is that it is INCREDIBLE. The sand on the beaches is softer and finer than powdered sugar. The water is crystal clear and the perfect temperature. True Paradise. I happened to be quite lucky because I was assigned to run the island activities on the island for the day (actually both days we were there…we did Half Moon Cay, Ft. Lauderdale for embarkation and Half Moon Cay again!). Truly, when there are activities there, nobody shows up – so I would lie on the beach – walk to the volleyball court for 5 minutes…and back to the beach! All of our workers (primarily Bar Staff and dining room servers) go over to the island and we take all the supplies to sell, so unfortunately Sherwin couldn't go over the first time and the second time he was working on the island – so I did get to see him throughout the day!

Anyways, to sum up Half Moon Cay – it's just a real-life Utopia. The white (soft) sand, crystal clear water, the cabanas, the sting rays…it's all just perfect.

In between the two Half Moon Cay's, we went to Fort Lauderdale for Embarkation. We went to Target (which is wonderful! You never realize how much you miss things like Target and Wal-mart until you can't have them for a few months! Then we went to the Philippine Consul so Sherwin could get some documents signed. Busy day, but nothing exciting.

Next stop…Grand Turk. Fantastic Island – just for relaxing and hanging out. There's a pool where everyone went with the swim-up bars, but Sherwin and I just laid on the beach and relaxed. Fresh air…amazing!

Santa Marta, Colombia and Fuerto Amador, Panama - I had IPM both days, so couldn't get off at either. (I've been a bit screwed over lately with my days off – because we've had tendering and no crew shore leave in the San Blas Islands in Panama…and my boss is an absolute moron.)

We stopped at the San Blas Islands in Panama, but no crew shore leave. It's a very very primitive island and quite small. Literally, I can see the entire island from one window of the ship and fit it all in one picture. It's about 200 steps across the entire thing, from what I've heard. The Indian chief even pulled up in his canoe to sell stuff on board. I mean, the natives came up to the ship in these very small wooden canoes (looks like they were literally carved out of a tree) and they're taking on water and quite a distance from the shore (we tendered here also), just to beg for money. They were pointing at people and holding up dollar bills and asking us to throw them down! The worst part is that in these unstable little canoes with only a paddle or two had 3-4 children to help them beg! Crazy! (By the way, no target or wal-mart anywhere. No thanks!)

The next day we entered the Panama Canal again at Cristobal. We will enter the canal again at Balboa on the 29th, if anyone is interested. They can check out the webcam at www.Pancanal.com. It's pretty neat to watch – I'll post the specific locks and times when I get them. I can't wait for you all to see some of the cool pictures I've taken of the canal the first time we went through!

Yesterday, we were in Manta, Ecuador. My boss screwed me over a bit, so I ended up having to stay on board until about 2pm. Worked out okay anyway, Sherwin got off at 2 so we could just go together. I wanted a Panamanian hat (because they're made in Monte Cristo, Ecuador…ironic). Some passengers said that there was a market right where the shuttle dropped us off. I went to the gym and ate lunch and started walking back to my cabin so we could go. I looked out the port side of the ship and just see a couple hundred people running from the fishing ship on the next pier. It looked like ants fleeing from an ant pile that was just disrupted. Then you see many of the men running for dear life back into the ship and just dragging out bodies and ripping their clothes off. I started to pray and actually got a little emotional – I could only imagine the fear that these people were feeling. I watched for a few more minutes and they just kept hauling body after body of injured guys from the ship. They had to wait a few minutes because of the toxic fumes coming from inside (I'll type the article in a minute, so you can read the details). I ran down to the cabin because Sherwin was waiting and I was doing no good by watching. As soon as we got to the cabin they announced the gangway and the port were closed. (There were so many ambulances – they were stuffing 4 in each because there were so many injuries – and soon to find out, deaths.)

So here's the article:

Explosion in Nicaraguan ship kills five

Quito: At least five people have been killed and 30 injured in an explosion on board a Nicaraguan flagged vessel in the port of Manta in western Ecuador, EFE news agency reported Thursday, quoting officials.

Juan Carlos Medranda, the head of radio operations for the Manta firefighters, said that the blast occurred when a pipe on board the ship carrying ammonia gas ruptured and the gas ignited.

The injured and the people who were present near the explosion area were taken to nearby health facilities, Medranda said adding that there was no danger in the ship or its surrounding area now.

Meanwhile, Patricio Mora, the Manta port captain, said the vessel was flying the Nicaraguan flag and provided services to an Ecuadorian fishing company.

The 1800-ton ship arrived at the port Monday, Mora said adding that the explosion occurred when 450 tons of frozen tuna were being unloaded and one of the rock-hard fish bumped into the ammonia pipe. (IANS)

End of article J
PS – The port agent tried to give the excuse to the captain that this was only a drill….we found the real article/information J

The port was closed for about 30 minutes and they let us go. Sherwin and I went down to the shuttle and the lady made an announcement that we were going to have to wait a few minutes before leaving and we didn't know how long it would take and how many shuttles they would let in. So, we didn't want Sherwin to be late, so he left and I stayed with some of the Steiners (spa girls/guy). We went to the market and I got a male hat and a female hat, in the boxes for $21.00. Initially they wanted $15 for one. I said no…$20.00 for two. After much more bargaining, we ended at $21.00. Several other people paid $20.00-$25.00 per hat J Mom, you did well! I also got two 10-count of the natural crayons (the wood with the colored wax in them…they wanted $2.50 a pack- got them both for $2.00.) Then we headed to the mall ($5.00 for 5 of us and a 10 minute ride!), walked around for a bit and came back (3 of us for $2.00 – two of the girls wanted to stay for awhile longer. That was my day in Manta J

This was way longer than I intended, but a crazy day yesterday. Just pray for their families – I can't stop thinking about it.

Hope this finds everyone well!


 


 


 


 

No comments: