Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Easter!

Another fantastic Easter today! Today we are anchored off of Portimao, Portugal. Woke up and did my usual thing (working) this morning around 9 and then had the day off until 3PM. Since it is a tender port, I decided that I wasn't going to go ashore and use this day to get ahead in my work and get "on the ball" finally. I always say it takes about 2 weeks to settle into a ship and get your groove going and I feel like I'm finally getting to that point. It was one of those days where you anticipate nothing and get everything. I ended up sitting in the office all day with Megs, the event manager, and Margarita, the event manager in training. The Entertainment Department office pretty much has a revolving door, so all of my team members were in and out. I haven't laughed that much in a VERY long time. Anything and everything was hilariously funny. It's hard to explain, but every ship is different – it has its own culture and its own morale. When you join a new ship, it is similar to moving to a new city – you never know what to expect or who will be there. Well – on this ship I have been pleasantly surprised because my team is incredible. We get along and we just click. It's funny actually...Yesterday, Margarita was confirmed for reservations for 4 for our Italian restaurant onboard. Well – when it came time to pick her four, we (Dom, the cruise director and I) began to tease her (because we weren't in her four!!) She got frustrated and said "How do you guys do this without offending anyone?" Megs threw back the answer of "We normally don't like everyone, so we don't care!" It's SO true.

Anyways, it was Easter today – but nothing much out of the ordinary happening around the ship other than hard boiled dyed eggs that seem to have found their way into every corner of the ship and chocolate Easter bunny adorning the Lido buffet line. Myself, Amye (the Youth Program Coordinator) and Tyler (her husband) decided that we wanted to make it an Easter Extravaganza for the kids. SO – we took over the Culinary Arts Center and did an Easter Egg Hunt, Dying Easter Eggs and Decorating Easter Cookies. We had a blast – I think we enjoyed it more than the kids. Really gives us a reminder of the holidays because I can honestly say – sometimes the holidays fly by because we don't get days off and we forget to celebrate them as well as what they are about and this really gave us a chance to have a good time and celebrate!

I almost forgot- a big group of us decided to go to church today. Oh my goodness, what a crazy service it was. The Pastor was very very old and the service was extremely traditional with responsive readings and hymns with no books nor music. We ended up leaving after the "sermon" because the pastor was so difficult to understand and follow because he was all over the place!

All in all a fantastic day – nothing big or eventful happened, but it was just happy and fun!

High: Laughter…really sincere laughter.

Low: Not having Ben to celebrate Easter with L

Lots of love to everyone out there today!

Quote I found last night on somebody's facebook profile: "There are SO many possibilities! The whole world is open to me. I can do whatever I want to do, be whoever I want to be. AND I CHOOSE to be who I am and to be where I am – right here, right now. I revel in the present moment and I am thankful for all the gifts it brings." ~Dorothy Mendoza Row

No comments: