Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Would you like some Pood?

Tallinn, Estonia.  To be completely honest, I had NO idea what to expect from Estonia, but my ONLY goal of today was Wi-Fi or “we-fee” as they say in Europe.  My computer needed so many updates and I really wasn’t feeling well – so it sounded like a perfect plan for me.  Steve asked me last night if I want to go out and walk around,  so we met up around 11 and started to explore a bit.

The highlight of our walk today, I must admit, was the Petrol Station right around the corner from the ship.  While we were walking down the road, I said “Steve, I just learned the Estonian word for food…POOD.”  Both of us began laughing hysterically because we are just stupid and find satisfaction and humor in the little things.  (Look at the picture below and you’ll see “Pood Shop”)  Needless to say, this became the joke of the day.  Use your imagination :)

DSCN5154

It was only about a 15 minute walk from the ship into the “Old Town” which is best described as Medieval in appearance.  Lots of old buildings and churches, but most seemed to be very quiet despite the fact that it was a Thursday.  My second most favorite thing we saw today was the restaurant pictured below…”Texas, the Honky Tonk Cantina.”  All I can say is WOW.

DSCN5156

My back was really bothering me today and I didn’t really have the desire to walk too much, so after walking through a small portion of the city, we settled at a place called “Chaphills Gastropub.”  Well, I’m still trying to figure out what a “gastropub” is – but my guess is that you have lots of gas problems once you leave there?  Hehe…anyways.  It was only about 11:30AM and the pub was pretty quiet so we settled in in the very back corner with our computers and I ordered a Weston’s Organic Apple Cider and he ordered some Estonian beer.    I was ecstatic because the internet was fast so I was able to download all my updates in the nick of time before my computer died (it’s getting older and the battery doesn’t last too long).  Once we both got downloads and uploads going, we decided to order some food.  I guess we’ve been hanging out too much together, because we both ended up ordering the same thing – bangers and mash or “Pork and Apple sausages with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy” – or better known as SCRUMPTIOUS. 

DSCN5157     DSCN5158

The picture above is quite funny – look at Steve trying to show me his…it’s all over the table.  Dufus. 

After an hour and a half or so of food, cider, beer and internet, we decided to walk around for a few minutes before heading back to the ship.  Truly, there wasn’t much other than lots of little cafes that were open as well as a few ::expensive:: stores.  I must say that I know how much God has blessed me with my job and the privilege that I have to see the world for free, but I do love the USA and how cheap it is in comparison to here :( We ended up back at the ship shortly after stopped by a few stores and vendors selling lots of handmade linens, hats, mittens and blankets.  Right outside of the terminal is a long row of vendors selling wooden items, more hats, even more linens etc.  At the end of all of the tents with trinkets for purchase, they had a small wooden pavilion set up for crew and guests to use free Wi-Fi and enjoy beer, ciders and sodas outside with some local music.  I actually believe that the local music was a couple of guys, one playing the fiddle and the other the accordion, looking to make a couple euros.  Several other crew members were out there, so we sat in the fresh (and bitterly cold) air and enjoyed a cider as well as a bit more Wi-Fi before it was time to go back to work.  Oh, work. 

On a sidenote…I’ve received several emails recently asking about what has happened with Ben and if i’m ok.  I’m nowhere near being ready to talk about it because I’m still in a lot of pain/shock/hurt about the whole thing.  Everyday I’m struggling to put a smile on and facilitate a great time for my guests, but still come back to my cabin each evening and cry.  It’s been really tough, but I’ll be ok and update you all soon.  Thanks for the concern – I’m one lucky girl to have friends and family that care.  God has blessed me.

No comments: