Saturday, October 29, 2011

My Lola’s Hometown!

Today I went to visit Roy who I met a few years ago on the Statendam.  When I met him, he was a Security Guard and now he’s a supervisor!  We were friends and hung out with the same people while we were there.  I haven’t seen him in years (2007), but we’ve always stayed in touch via Facebook.  When I posted on Facebook that I was coming here, he contacted me to let me know that his girlfriend would be coming into town around the same time, so we should all meet up.  His girlfriend, Simone, is actually another Party Planner for Holland!

Roy was the first one to text me when I posted my phone number and told me that they were going out of town for a few days, but we should meet up for lunch when they returned.  Sure enough, a few days later I got a text message asking me to come over and he would cook.  You know me and food, especially if someone else is cooking..I was going!  Then, the hot water wasn’t working again after I had figured out to flip the breaker the day before.  I called maintenance and waited for them to come and they did but told me that they couldn’t fix the problem since they thought it was electrical, so I waited for the owner to call me with a new solution.  Well, an hour later I told Roy and Simone to eat without me because I didn’t want to leave if they were going to send somebody else out.  I ended up not getting an email until the following day. 

Anyways, a few days later (after they had gone out of town again and returned) they invited me over again and I wasn’t missing it for anything this time.  I took an ice cold shower and hopped in a cab to Pasig (about 25 minutes away from here) to meet them at their condo.  Roy made an awesome lunch with pork, bok choy, tofu, sautéed onions and rice.  I scarfed it down because I hadn’t eaten all day.  We chatted for a long time and then they said that they were going to Angeles City for a festival (Tigtigan Terakan Keng Dalan 2011) and asked if I wanted to join.  Initially, I was hesitant because I wasn’t sure if Edwin had planned something that night but deep down I really wanted to go!  My Lola (my step-mom’s Mom) is from there and I would love to see it!  A short while later, we packed up and headed out to catch a tricycle (a motorcycle with a side car) over to where we could get a Jeepney. On our way out f the complex, we asked the security guard to take a photo…can you tell who the short one is?!?!?
I met up with Roy and his sweet girlfriend, Simone who happens to be another Party Planner!
Here’s Simone and I in the side car with the “wind in our hair” and Roy riding sidesaddle on the motorcycle with the driver.
Our first form of transportation on the way to Angeles City in Pamapanga...a tricycle (a motorcycle with a side car attached)  Our view of Roy with our driver
Once we made it to the Jeepney, they were going to drop me off where I could take a cab home and they would take the bus.  While we were in the Jeepney, Roy said “I think you should just come with us.”  I agreed and went with them and decided it would be stupid to pass up the opportunity!  We went to the bus station to catch a bus…a very crowded bus (the kids were out of school all week for “All Souls Day” so everybody was headed out of the city) and grabbed a seat in the very back row comfortably squished together with three of our closest new friends.  It took a little more than 3US dollars and 2 hours to get there (we were stuck in Manila traffic for 25 minutes before hitting open road). 

Once we arrived, you could see that there was a festival going on but it seemed pretty dead.  When I looked at my watch, I realized it was only 7PM and it would probably pick up later.  We paid for our tickets (80PHP, less than $2) and we walked down the center street for about 30 minutes. 
DSCN5792
There wasn’t much going on – seemed that all the bands were still setting up as were all the concession stands.  Roy was looking for a specific restaurant to take us to so that we could have Sisig, which originates there.  Now,  sisig is traditionally made from chopped pigs head (including the snout) and mixed with lots of other things (I can hear my mother now). Roy couldn’t find the restaurant he was looking for, so we decided on a nice restaurant outside (the weather was gorgeous aka not humid) which was DEAD.  All the waiters and waitresses were standing around waiting for somebody to come in! 

We sat down and ordered a drink right away – I saw a yellow mango shake on the menu and knew I had to have it.  Simone ordered the same and Roy got a San Miguel, the beer of the Philippines (so we took a photo with it).Angeles City - A delicious yellow mango shake!
  Before dinner in Angeles City with a San Miguel!
  As far as the food goes, we let Roy take care of the ordering. I knew I wanted some sisig since we were where they “make it best” but I was up for anything else!  He ordered fried rice, pork belly (my absolute favorite), sisig (1/2 spicy for me and him and the other 1/2 no-so-spicy for Simone), Mongolian BBQ and chicken butt.  Now, let’s talk about this chicken ass.  Roy said we had to order it because he wanted us to try it – I said no problem, I’ll try anything at least once.  When it came to the table, it looked fine…just like three pieces of meat lined up in a dish.  Roy picked a piece up and put it on my plate because he wanted me to try it right away.  I picked it up with my fingers and took a bite and it was delicious!  When I set it back down on the plate, I set it at the wrong angle because it was looking back at me…that’s right…the big giant ANUS was staring me in the face and I could not fathom taking another bite.  Come on, anus on a plate?!?!?

Here’s our food before the chicken butt hit the table – I never got a photo of the dish of anuses…sadly.  I don’t typically get grossed out…but at the sight of that, I was.
DSCN5771
  At the festival in Angeles City before dinner <3
Once we finished eating (we were stuffed with plenty of food left over) , we sat and listened to the band that started playing next to the restaurant.  We decided to walk a bit more down the way and we came across another band that looked interesting, so we found a table & Roy ordered a pitcher of some mango drink.  I couldn’t drink anything – I was beyond exhausted for some reason.  We sat and listened until the band finished and then some drag queen comedians took over and did some competition with a bunch of the guys from the audience.  The entire thing was in Tagalog, so I didn’t understand a damn word they said!  But it was funny even just to watch. 

At 10:30, I got up to go call my guy and I never thought it would be as big of a challenge as it was.  The place was PACKED and there were so many bands playing (I could could 5 within hearing range) that I couldn’t find a decent spot to call.  Finally, I found a corner next to a 7-11 (in the middle of the bands) behind a delivery truck so that I could at least call and say Good Morning (they are 12 hours behind us).  We talked for awhile (I didn’t hear a word he said) but at least we talked, right?  When I got back to the table with Roy and Simone, they were ready to go (I was so tired that it was good news to me– especially since we had a good 2 hours of traveling still to go!)

Like I mentioned before, the place was packed – but not as packed as the line to get in.  It literally took us 20 minutes to get through the thick crowd of folks just trying to get into the festival.  I was AMAZED at how many people were standing there.  We hopped in a tricycle back to the bus station – people would move out of their way for that…not for us.  They picked up a pack of cigarettes ($1US – which explains why everybody smokes here) and then we hopped on a bus, which was much less crowded then the way there.  Roy fell asleep quickly and Simone and I chatted for a bit before we both dozed off as well.  Now, if you take a bus in the US it’s a decent ride you can nap because it’s smooth and comfortable.  Well, riding a bus in the Philippines where there really is no speed limit and time is money…I felt like I was in an empty beer can being thrown down a rocky mountain at warp speed.  Let’s just say we almost hit a Jeepney and we made it home in 52 minutes (as opposed to the 2 hour trip there).  Eek!

I am SO glad that Roy and Simone invited me to go with them – it was great catching up with Roy as well as meeting Simone (she’s awesome!) and I was so lucky to be able to go to the festival with them!  If I didn’t, I would have just been sitting by myself at home.  I’m one lucky girl!

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation.  For your character is who you are and your reputation is merely what people think of you.”

No comments: