Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Nafplion, Greece: Cruising the Corinth Canal

Because of the unrest in Israel, the Captain cancelled our two ports of call in Israel this voyage and traded them out for two ports in Turkey and a call in Nafplion, Greece. Before they announced the change, I’d never heard of this particular port, so I was anxious to see what tours we were going to offer. I checked through the list and saw that we offered “Corinth Canal Cruising” and instantly got excited. When we are in Athens, we offer a tour that goes to the Ancient Corinth Canal, but it doesn't actually go into the canal – just view it from above, but THIS particular tour was a cruise through the canal and I knew I had to do it. 

I don’t think the weather could have been any more perfect than it was – a perfect sunny day! From the ship, it’s approximately a 45 minute drive to reach the canal and our first stop was the opportunity to take a picture of the canal from above. It’s amazing that this canal is man-made and looking down into it and seeing how far below it is, it’s a sight to behold! I took my photos and it only made me more excited to get on the boat and go.


A few minutes on the bus later, and we were at the dock and ready to board the boat. I waited for all the guests on both buses (about 80 people) and then I got on and found my “spot” and got situated. Many of the guests (between our cruise line and one other that joined our boat) were arguing over spots to stand on the top deck with their cameras etc. Honestly, I did want to be on the top in the sunshine, but when I heard the bickering, I was happy in my corner of silence. Where the stairs from the top deck meet the bottom deck is where I found my little nook and it was perfect for taking photographs and there was nobody there to crowd me or get in the way of my photo!


The entire journey through the canal, I kept thanking God for the opportunity to see this incredible creation. We cruised all the way through the canal (4 miles) and turned around and went back through the canal to return to the same spot where we boarded. With the sunshine and the sound of the boat cutting through the water, I didn't want it to end!

To give you an idea, the canal is 276 feet high, 80 feet wide, 25 feet deep and 4 miles long. I took a ton of pictures and just had an amazing day!

   

Everybody has a “happy place” in the world – a place that makes them at peace with themselves and the world. Mine is anywhere involving water – it puts me at ease.












No comments: