Sunday, September 8, 2013

Santorini, Greece: Two Asses on a Trail

The one thing I've always wanted to do in Santorini was ride the donkey up the trail, because that’s “typical Santorini.” Whenever you hear or see anything about Santorini – you hear about riding a donkey up to the city of Fira at the top. In the past, I had always taken the cable car to the top, but Kieran and I have decided that we’re going to stop putting off the things that we’ve always wanted to do in certain ports and cities. With the recent issues in Egypt and Israel, the company has stopped allowing the ships to go into the ports (for very valid reasons, I believe!). Lucky for me, I've done the pyramids and the Giza and been all over Israel, but Kieran never has and he’s quite bummed about the possibility of never going into those places again and seeing the symbolic and iconic sites.

I hopped on my donkey first and had asked Kieran to hold the camera awhile I got on and when my first foot was comfortable in the stirrup, the horse took off with me and without the camera. Kieran and I had made sure that each of us had a camera to take photos of each other going up the 500+ steps to the town of Fira. He got a few shots of me, but I didn't get to take any of him on his donkey. We had a blast! My donkey stayed well ahead of his and I now fully understand what “stubborn as a mule” means. They have minds of their own and zigzag all the way up the pathway (apparently, the shortest distance between two points being a straight line is of no importance to them). They run into the other asses all the way up and have no regard for people walking down the trail. We even had one girl yell at us “People, control your donkeys.” Wasn't sure who the bigger ass on the trail was at that moment!

My donkey stopped a few times and I was worried that he was going to sit down and tell me to get my fat ass off of him, but we made it all the way to the top safe and sound! Worth the faint smell of donkey poo for the remainder of the afternoon ;)


Came Across this sign today at the top of Fira!


Side Note: We walked around Santorini today and we found this lady that has really cool jewelry made from Legos and other fun stuff. I got this necklace and I'm in love with it as well as some mustache earrings in remembrance of Kieran's 'tache being laid to rest!

     


No comments: