Thursday, October 2, 2008

Just another day in Paradise :)


Happy October Everyone! Hope it has started out well for everyone and that this post finds everyone happy and healthy. I made it through the four sea days, which in all actuality were not that bad. The people have been a lot of fun when running activities and I’ve enjoyed their company so far. Getting to know a lot of them always makes the trip a bit more fun. I’m loving not working with the kids and being able to have full days of adult conversation. It’s quite refreshing J If I had time during the day on the sea days; I took a book up to the Lido and just read. It was so wonderful! The air is different – it’s that Caribbean breeze where you can smell the beach and palm trees it in.


We were in Hilo, Hawaii yesterday and I was In Port Manning (IPM – where we have to stay on board to fulfill any emergency function if one were to occur – but instead, we just work all day since we’re stuck on board anyways). It ended up being cloudy and rainy all day, so I wasn’t disappointed that I was stuck on board all day. Last night we sailed past a national park of Volcanoes. I was in the passenger gym working out because we weren’t supposed to pass the big volcano until 10:15 – so I figured I’d take a shower beforehand. The chief officer came into the gym to tell three of us that we were going past a smaller volcano that was erupting! Sure enough, we walked outside and its pitch black dark, but all you see is orange coming out the top and flowing down the sides of the invisible volcano. The smoke reeked of sulfur- but it was so neat to see it erupting! We did see the one erupting when we were in New Guinea in March, but there was no lava – just ash EVERYWHERE!


Today we were in Kona, Hawaii. It was a tender port so we had to take one of the tenders to get to the shore. Once we were there, we went swimming in the ocean, which was beautiful! The water was that beautiful blue/green color. The only downside is that the ground was covered in these massive rocks and they hurt! Sherwin ended up cutting the heel of his foot pretty bad and my feet just hurt from all the rocks and sharp things I stepped on in the water. But, we enjoyed ourselves – it was so nice to get fresh air that was warm and Caribbean like! It really does just feel and taste different.


Tomorrow morning we will be in Lahaina, Hawaii or aka Maui! It’s another tender port, but we’re going to go ashore and at least walk around for a bit. I’ll let you know how that goes. Haven’t taken too many pictures since San Francisco – but I will do my best to post some soon so you can see the few that I have taken!


To give you a taste of these old people on the cruise – here’s a prime example of our daily suffering/daily dose of humor and laughter. While working in the library today, I was sitting at the desk when this older woman – probably early/mid sixties was standing at the desk talking to me. Sure enough, a cloud came over me. Now we’re not talking the boo-hoo depression cloud. We’re talking a true SBD. Now, I’m sure some of you are asking what this is, but the true translation is a Silent But Deadly FART! Oh my gosh – I’m not sure what this woman ate, but if she thinks I wasn’t going to notice – Lord have mercy, I had to hold my breath while she was writing on her little paper on the desk. GAG! Then, if her smelly secretions weren’t enough- in the corridor behind me I hear a very loud noise- it sounds like those doors that have the rubber on them that make the super loud farting noise- the one you joke about when someone opens it saying “excuse you” because you know it isn’t possible that a rip-roaring fart like that is possible. Well, I’ll be damned! The same Gassy creature let one rip in the hallway and just kept going! Holy Guacamole! I was laughing so hard at the desk that people in the CafĂ© probably thought I was crazy, because I couldn’t stop!! Anyways, that was my funny story for the day.


I’ll leave you with this:
Passenger: Excuse me, sir?
Sherwin: Yes ma’am, what can I do for you?
Passenger: Do you know if we’re going to see any whales today?
Sherwin: Why ma’am, just look in the pool today – we have one of every kind!
(Ok, so he didn’t say it, but he sure wanted to!)

No comments: