Friday, October 17, 2008

Tahitian Treat!

Only one port to go and 8 sea days and we’re back in San Diego. As you can see in my last few entries, I’ve had an amazing time this trip. The sea days are long and rough and tons of work, but we’re getting by and doing alright.

Yesterday we were in Moorea in the Society Islands and it was another beautiful place. The waters were crystal clear – just not as civilized as Bora Bora or Papeete in Tahiti. It was yet another tender port, so there wasn’t much time for us to get off. I went ashore to look at some of the vendors and I’d wait for Sherwin over there. There was nothing ashore other than a hot dog stand and about 10 vendors with identical jewelry (shells and “black pearls”. I grabbed some imitation ones because I couldn’t tell what was real or fake and the ones marked “real” started at $33 and went up as high as $500. It’s one thing if they were in a store, but these were on a table and stuck through some cardboard squares. So, I bought a $7.00 imitation pair and a really pretty shell that is for your pareo- they had been extremely expensive everywhere else and I got it pretty cheap.

When Sherwin got off work, he met me on the pier and we got in a cab ($7) for each of us and it took us to a resort – which was really individual bungalows that people stayed in. Quite nice actually! I’m sure very expensive. We ate at the restaurant and each of us ordered a sandwich– we always get different sandwiches and split them so we ordered a fish sandwich and a burger with a sunny-side-up egg on it (I can see Mom’s face now). They were both delicious :) We got a drink too, but non-alcoholic, just a lot of the local fruit juices like pineapple, mango and something else mixed together. Very sweet, but good!

After eating, we only had about 20 minutes so we jumped in the water, which was extremely cold but crystal clear blue. The current was so strong, though, that it was pulling me! Just like all the other beaches, it was very rocky in the water so it hurt our feet. I guess I now understand the reason for water shoes.

The cab picked us up again at 1:00 and brought us back to the pier so we could catch the tender back. I just wanted to go swimming on the ship and he had to go back to work. It was perfect timing though – the minute we got back on the ship the Captain announced no more crew shore leave due to high winds. I ended up playing in the pool with the little 14 month old doctor’s son.

Another beautiful day, I’m sad we’re almost done with these ports. We will be in Nuka Hiva in 2 days, but I just read that there are limited beaches, but they have these no-see-ums type of bug called “nono” bugs and they leave huge welts and itch like no other – the locals say they are “fiercer than lions”. So I guess we won’t be going there :) Uh well – We’ll be in the Panama Canal and Caribbean until the end of our contracts- plenty of time for a tan!

Hope everyone is doing well! Send pictures and updates to me!

No comments: