Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sunny days, keepin’ the clouds away

Copenhagen, Denmark today and couldn’t ask for a more PERFECT day of weather.  I woke up this morning with a lack of motivation to go out, but Jo convinced me to go walk around with her today and I’m so grateful that she did.  Last cruise, we had some horrendous weather and none of us wanted to go ashore, especially since we had to pay for the shuttle to go from the port to the heart of the city. 

As soon as the two of us finished our morning activities, we hopped on the shuttle to town.  The shuttle dropped us off in the heart of the city.  The first thing Jo noticed were the swings.  Does anyone remember those swings at carnivals that go round and round?  Well, those are the swings we saw- except they went more than round and round, the entire ride went really high so you could see the whole city while swinging.  If you know me, you know that I love rides and apparently she loves them just as much, so we were insistent on riding them.  Turns out, it’s all part of Tivoli Gardens amusement park which has gardens, an aquarium, tons of rides, a Titanic exhibition and lots of other fun things.  Unfortunately, we did not have anywhere near enough time to spend enjoying all the rides and attractions that it had to offer and it was quite pricy – so definitely wanted to come back when we had the time to enjoy it all.  Next time, I guess.  The amusement park was in the center of a bustling city, so we walked around the city and checked out all the rides before ending up right in front of a bridge and next to SYDBANK!  I had to get pictures…

Copenhagen, Denmark - It's Sydbank!

        Copenhagen, Denmark - Jo says  Copenhagen, Denmark - Welcome to Sydbank...

The weather was absolutely gorgeous – nice and warm.  The fresh air, sunshine and light breeze truly perked me right up and allowed me take many deep breaths throughout the day.  We crossed the bridge over the river and ended up right on the waterfront where hundreds of people were enjoying the flawless weather as well as a portion of the river that had been sectioned off for swimming and diving.  Kids flooded the “pool” and were diving off of steep platforms and just having a fun time outside.  Copenhagen is a very active city – there are tons and tons of bikes parked everywhere, there are biking lanes as wide as the car lanes and everywhere you look, people are walking or biking to get where the need to go.  With the weather the way it was, I’d enjoy a bike ride too!

The waterfront was quite long and as I mentioned before, crowded.  There were several photo opportunities along the river – my favorite being the hand painted elephants that were on display throughout the city.  These elephants were up for auction to save the elephants of Asia and they were just beautiful.  I actually heard, from a guest, this afternoon that there is a store in Copenhagen that sells replicas of all of them.  My goal next cruise will be to find one of the stores, because I want one (obviously smaller than these- they are as tall as I am!)

Copenhagen, Denmark - These really cool elephants were all over the city and they were being auctioned to save the elephants in Asia  Copenhagen, Denmark - another elephant for auction

Copenhagen, Denmark - Jo looking out over the city...  Copenhagen, Denmark

Over the river and through the…well, on the sidewalk and we were back by Tivoli Gardens and close to the shuttle stop.  On the way into town earlier, we had noticed a festival-type function going on and decided to stop by and see what exactly it was.  Turns out, it was some sort of turkish culture celebration.  There were tons of people eating turkish foods (yum…I wanna go back to Istanbul and Kusadasi) so we sat and lisetened to the live music for a bit before stopping by to see Hans Christian Andersen. Copenhagen, Denmark - The Turkish Culture Festival (according to Jo)

If you don’t know who he is, he wrote The Little Mermaid, the Ugly Duckling,etc.  So, we said “hello.”

Copenhagen, Denmark - Having a conversation with Hans Christian Andersen

Both of us were hungry, so we “window shopped” several different restaurants and cafes.  Of all places, we ended up at the Hard Rock Café because it was the “cheapest” of all the options and it had outdoor seating.  I could have cared less about the food, I just didn’t want to go inside when the weather was so perfect!  We nabbed the last table outside and I ordered an apple cider (one of the best I’ve tried, thus far) and our food.  Jo laughed at me because I take pictures of all the food and drink, but she’ll appreciate it one day.  Jo ordered a chicken sandwich and a coke and I got a pulled pork sandwich (which had cabbage on top – common for dishes in Denmark), a salad and my cider and the bill came to…55 Euros!!!!!!!!  OUCH!

Copenhagen, Denmark - Sitting at the Hardrock in Copenhagen with my Apple Cider  Copenhagen, Denmark - My BBQ Pork Sandwich w/ Cabbage, baked beans and cole slaw @ Hard RockCopenhagen, Denmark - Jo HATES that I take pictures of everything!  So, I tok a picture of her chicken sandwich

A fantastic day – I’m so grateful that Jo asked me to go walk around.  So worth it!

Jo’s (random) quote of the day – “I dated a Jew once, but I knew it wouldn’t work out. ::awkward pause:: I like bacon.” You probably had to be there, but it was absolutely hilarious!

Quote of the day:  “Unless you can create a whole universe in five days, then perhaps giving “advice” to God isn’t such a good idea!”

No comments: