Tuesday, June 7, 2011

True love is a Friendship on Fire

I’m so glad that summer is finally starting to kick in here in Europe.  The last few weeks were so rainy, dark and cold that I was beginning to wonder why anyone would want to travel to some of these places.  Thank Goodness that the sun is starting to come out and play because I need it!  Jo, Steve and myself went out to see what Kristansand had to offer since none of us had been here before.  Our first stop was not far from the ship – about 25 feet or so and we introduced ourselves to the Kristansand Welcoming Committee…of one.  

Kristiansand, Norway - The welcoming committee

My first observation of the country as a whole is that everyone here is BEAUTIFUL.  Blonde hair and blue eyes describes almost everyone you see from small babies and children (who look like chubby porcelain dolls) through the older population.  One of my favorite things about Europe are the buildings – they all offer character and charm through their color, construction and little details.  This small town of Kristansand has much of that!  My favorite building is a church that we went into.  It isn’t your typical baroque style church with lots of gaudy details and intricacies – it is simple.  The inside was carpeted, which you don’t see in my churches.  They are often wood or tiled and typically quite loud as well.  Because of the carpet, I found the church to be silent and offer a peaceful energy about it.  The walls and ceilings were simple slats of wood with one detailed painting at the front of the church above the altar.  Other than that- simple and classy chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and one large one down the center aisle.  When (if) I ever get married – a church like that would be a dream.

Kristiansand, Norway - This church was amazing inside - lots of cool energy

Once we exited the church, we stood in a “town square” type of area where there were a few vendors scattered about – check these out!  Big Brother Steve and I look b-e-a-utiful…hehe.

Kristiansand, Norway - Check ME out! (And the hair standing off my head :)    Kristiansand, Norway - Me and my "big brother" Steve - yeah, we're hot.

And this guy – he was in his Porshe of a motorized wheel chair and he was showing off and  flirting with the woman in her Toyota wheelchair.

Kristiansand, Norway - Check out this guys wheelchair - it's the luxary liner...and he was flirting with this woman and showing off his "sports car"

For another hour or so, we walked around taking pictures and window shopping.  Found lots of neat little shops and there was a TON of home stores with furniture and décor items.  We went in a toy store to see what they had and figured out that even a water gun was around $50.00.  Much too expensive for my taste :)  One of the home stores had tons of the signs that you hang around your home (and all in English, which was odd) and this one caught my eye…hence, the title of this post.

Kristiansand, Norway - so true.

We stopped by a really cool candy/ice cream store with tons and tons of different candies…

Kristiansand, Norway  Kristiansand, Norway - <3 <3 <3

And then ended up back at the McDonalds for free WI-FI since there wasn’t much else to see in the town…

Kristiansand, Norway - Check out this McDonalds ($19 for a 9 piece nugget, $20 for burger, fries and a coke)

I won a new IPAD in the crew raffle the night before, so I had a ton of fun getting my new IPAD set up.  I’ve wanted one forever but never could spend that much money.  I am IN LOVE with it – can’t wait to download lots of books onto it!  After an hour or so of Wi-Fi, I headed back to the ship because I had to work ::ugh::.

Quote of the Day:  “The tongue must be heavy indeed, because so few people are able to hold it.”

No comments: