Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I hate the rain...

Can you believe it is September already? I know I can’t! I also can’t believe that I only have 3 cruises left in Alaska then it is onto dry dock for two weeks in Victoria then on down to Mexico. The weather is starting to get a bit nastier here – raining a lot more, very cloudy, humid and getting pretty cold (I’m sorry Mom...I know it’s hot there!). I still love Alaska, but I’m ready for a TAN!

Last week was fantastic! I got two really great excursions and truly enjoyed both of them. In Juneau, I did what they call the “Best of Juneau” Tour. We went out to the Mendenhall Glacier by bus, which I’ve done before – but the part I was most excited about was the whale watching! We piled onto a catamaran in Auke Bay and took it out into the Canal where we saw the Herbert and Eagle Glaciers, tons of Stellar Sea Lions and several Humpback Whales. As soon as we reached the Canal there were 3 humpbacks feeding about 100 feet from the boat. They stayed with us for quite a while – it’s incredible how large they are! I’m going to find a way to get the video to you all - you can hear the blows and see how close they were to us. Unfortunately, there wasn’t any breaching (where they jump out of the water), but it was so cool to have them so close to us. After we did the whale watching, we went out to an Alaskan Salmon Bake. The food was so delicious! They made the salmon fresh on a “grill” right there for us with a brown sugar glaze on it...the kind that’s so good you want to lick the plate! (I bought two packs to send home...we’ll be having it whenever I do make it home!) There was the real cornbread, baked beans, Ceasar salad with salmon on top and fresh fruit – best way to describe it was YUM! After we ate, there was a waterfall that you could walk to which was beautiful! A great day!


On Friday in Ketchikan I went Ziplining, which was by far my favorite excursion yet and I’m definitely going when we are in Victoria and Costa Rica! There was a total of 7 ziplines ranging from 300 to 750 feet across and 80 to 135 feet above the ground. On one of the ziplines we got up to around 35 MPH. There were also 3 suspension bridges that we walked across – the highest one at 135 feet! Ziplining was awesome – the scariest part for me was when they had us waiting on these platforms in trees so high up in the air, but it was worth it! I have videos of the ziplining too, when I figure out how to get those on here – I’ll let you know! The suspension bridges were a bit nerve-wracking too – swinging in the air so high above the ground, but while we were on the highest one we saw a Momma bear with 3 bear cubs fishing for salmon in the creek below us. Anyways – highly recommend this if you ever get the opportunity!! After we climbed down from the last tree, I saw a real reindeer too – much hairier than expected!
This week has actually been really quiet – only 2 kids on board but neither has come to any programming. They are a bit older (I believe 11 and 12) so I guess it’s not their thing anyways. We’ve been doing inventory and organizing everything up in Club Hal so we don’t have to do it over Dry Dock and we can enjoy being in Victoria!

I hope all is well with everyone! I need people to send me some pictures via snail mail – I forgot to bring all but two with me – so help me out J My address is posted at the beginning of this blog – but that’s the address only for another 3 weeks. I’ll post the San Diego address soon!



Joke of the Day:

What’s the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?


Beer nuts are $1.50 and deer nuts are under a buck. Hehehehehe...I love it!

No comments: