Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Happy Birthday, Tita Belen!

When I was at Sherwin’s house the other day, they asked me to come back for Tita Belen’s birthday (Mama Pat’s sister).  She doesn’t live in town, but she came in for the weekend to celebrate with the family.  After talking with his cousin, she said that she would come to pick me up to make sure I got from my place over to the city where they live and arrive safe.  Around 10:00AM, they picked me up and we took a 45 minute cab ride (which cost a whopping $5 and change!) over to the house and as I walked in, Tita Belen was sitting in the front room.  What I didn’t realize was that Tita Belen had no clue I was in the Philippines and the family kept telling her that there was a surprise guest coming for her party.  She was so surprised and happy to see me (thank goodness…otherwise that could have been bad!).  Soon after arriving, we sat down to eat and as usual there was a ton of fabulous food!

The rest of the day was spent talking (some in english and some not…but I’ll get there), drinking Bailey’s, eating A LOT and just enjoying the company.  I’m sad that this was my last time to spend with them before I leave the country – but I’m thrilled to have had the opportunity to spend two different days with them.  But hey – I’ll be back this summer ::fingers crossed::!

It's Tita Belen's Birthday!

~ Tita Belen posing with her cake ~

A more complete group shot

~ A group shot…one of the many.  So many people came by, we had rotating participants in the photos! ~

This is one of my favorites!

~  I love these people! ~

Me & Baby Matt - Can you tell it was hot and rainy with my nappy hair?  I don't care...love this baby (love the whole family, actually!)

~ Me & Baby Matt ~

 

Quote of the Day:  “Tears are prayers too.  They travel to God when we can’t speak”

No comments: