Saturday, November 19, 2011

I’m not leaving without trying it!

In 2009 while I was here, everyone kept talking about Balut and how I had to try it.  If you don’t know, here is what “Balut” is according to Wikipedia:

“A balut is a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled alive and eaten in the shell.Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, balut are mostly sold by street vendors in the regions where they are available. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. They are common, everyday food in countries in Southeast Asia, such as Laos (where it is called kai luk – ໄຂ່ລູກ), Thailand (khai khao – ไข่ข้าว in Thai), Cambodia (pong tea khon ពងទាកូន in Cambodian)[1] and Vietnam (trứng vịt lộn or hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese). They are often served with beer.  The Filipino and Malay word balut (balot) means "wrapped" – depending on pronunciation.”

The last night that I was in the Philippines in 2009, we were at Sherwin’s house and somebody had purchased some for me and his cousin to taste.  Several of us, for some reason, had a stomach bug and couldn’t eat anything (let alone pack!).  Needless to say, I didn’t try it.  Whenever Filipinos on the ship ask me if I tried it, I have to tell the whole story as to WHY I haven’t tried it.  This time…I was gonna do it! 

Edwin planned my farewell “party” for our little group at his Mom’s karaoke bar.  We were gonna eat, drink and sing!  He picked me up around 9PM and we met up with Joyce & Ed at Ed’s place before heading over to the bar together.  While we were in the car on the way over to the bar, Edwin told me that he bought me “good quality” balut for me to try.When we arrived at the bar, we sat outside so we could eat and I swear Edwin ordered everything they had!  It was all delicious, but I knew the time was quickly approaching for me to try IT.   

I was more and more reluctant to try it..  It wasn’t necessarily trying something new that was turning me off – it was my concern for how it was going to taste and feel in my mouth.  Before trying it, I asked all the necessary questions.  1.  Will is make any noises at me?  2.  Will I feel feathers?  3.  Will I feel the feet or crunch down on a beak?  After they all got a good chuckle out of my perfectly valid questions, I decided to take the plunge. 

Step 1:  Check for chirping:

I FINALLY tried Balut (look it up if you want to know what it is).  I was checking to make sure it wasn't chirping before I ate it!

Step 2:  Verify with the group that I will NOT feel feathers or cough them up at a later time:

Balut - was verifying with everyone that I wasn't going to feel bones, fur, feet or a beak before I would eat it.

Step 3:  Take a bite (chew, Sydney):

The first bite of Balut....tastes like...an egg.

Step 4:  Evaluate

Balut - Chewing the first bite and really nervous about what i'm going to "feel."

Survey Says…Tastes like a hard boiled egg!

Quote of the Day:  Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible.

No comments: